an Ode to Engelbreit!


Okay, so, before we go any further
here with this journey,
I have to stop the train and just pause for a moment
to reveal my great inspiration for illustrating.
Yes, I could draw long before I knew
who my inspiration was,
but the moment I was exposed
to the work of Mary Engelbreit…
I, I, well, I just melted inside.
She illustrates in such a way
that you want to climb into her scenes
and be a part of them.  They are so happy and warm.
Just lovely and perfect.  Whimsical and believable.
I think it's why, to this day,
I struggle with artwork done digitally.
For me, it's not believable.
Sorry, it's just this thing I have.
Even though I draw people with 3 fingers,
the scene has to be believable to me - the proportions,
shadowing, angles, etc.  I feel like digital art,
just by the nature of it,
has to work harder to be believable.
But that is the beauty of art -
it's beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
So, have you seen Mary's work?
It's massive - and licensing all over the place!
She posted a short video yesterday of herself
illustrating a girl from start to finish! HOORAHH!



SO awesome to see a pro in action...fast action!!!
Love. Love. Love Mary Engelbreit.
You can see more HERE!
Thanks so much for allowing me to tell ya about
a big hero of mine.
Check out the link above if you need to feel
all warm and fuzzy inside,
you've probably seen her gazillions of illustrations
in all kinds of places over the years!

See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment