Simple Beginnings

Wow, a BLOG?! I can remember first hearing that word and learning what it meant! And here I am...a 40 something year old, semi-competent on a computer, mom of 3 redheaded girls, living in an amazing digital age that offers SO much there just aren't enough hours in the day to see or learn it all.......yet we long for those comforting things of our childhood as well...sitting in a lawn chair under a huge oak tree on a hot summer day shelling peas.....a homemade pie cooling on the counter or coming home from church and before you can even get into the house, the smell of roast cooking, mmmmm......I feel deeply that we must pass on to our children (and the next generation) these simple things as well.
I've been very blessed to have been born and raised by a Proverbs 31 mother! She was truly a Martha Stewart and then some! She was a seamstress, an amazing cook, decorator and craftperson. During my early married life, I had the privilege of working with her when she owned a tea room and taught folk art painting classes....I was able to learn many of her secrets! I also get all of my 'stirring' skills from my dad....(who is a great cook as well), but would make my mother crazy sometimes lifting lids, peeking and stirring in every pot!
I was also influenced in my early married life by Public Television.......I would faithfully watch Julia Child and Jeff Smith...they played a HUGE part in showing a more 'professional' or 'advanced' way of cooking - before the days of Food Network and HGTV for sure!!!
And here we are....in a wonderful age as well.....SO many talented people....I stumbled upon the blog of Bakerella several months ago and have been inspired once again to bake....the Etsy website has inspired (or intimidated) the creative part of me.....
On our recent trip to Florida for our summer vacation I was led to create an illustrated book of each days events. It was spawned from my music minister boss saying that instead of photos, we should just let each family member 'draw' a picture for the day....because after all....'all you need is a big chief tablet and a box of crayons!'........and so 'big chief designs' was birthed.....I am now working on a 'comic' style book for my great nephew - as the 'haydenator'! Who knows where that will lead........
God has been so incredibly gracious to have given me and my family such gifts and talents! It is not only therapeutic, but incredibly fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment